Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Dr. Who pencil box

I wanted to make a Dr.Who themed gift for a friend, but do not know anything about the show. Unfortunately it is one of the few geeky things that my husband is less engrossed in :) So I searched the  web to find what the emblematic characters or symbols Dr.Who universe are. I came across the Tardis or Police box. It seemed to be a good image to use on a plain wooden pencil box that I bought at a crafts store the previous day.  I found a great cross stitch design for a Tardis here http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/cross-stitch-tardis
 
I traced the front side of the pencil box onto  a grid notepad page. Then, I copied the cross-stitch design onto the grid paper.


 
I did not copy the cross stitch design exactly, but the design helped me get a sense of the scale of a Tardis, how big the windows are etc...

 I sanded the box, painted it with blue waited until it dried and sanded it again, and repainted it. Then, I traced the cut out tardis onto the box and painted within the lines with a slightly lighter blue color (difference cannot be seen on photos). I then painted the whitish windows, light, sign and than used black for outlining etc. When it was all dry I added a matt finish for acrylic paints.


No comments:

Post a Comment